Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Karl

Our bird Karl has a very enlarged heart.  Found this out yesterday after taking her to the bird vet.  The heart is filling about 70% of her body cavity.  A normal heart will only be about 30 %. This is causing some of her body parts not to function properly and this poor heart is working overtime.  She has taught us many things thru the years and am extremely glad she shared our lives. Remember when she was a little, I mean a little baby bird that I got from Tom Cooper, she was two weeks old and no feathers.  For about six weeks she shared my ride to and from work. She needed to be hand fed every two hours and this was the only way to accomplish this.  Jackie, Roy and Tom plus many others at CVL helped during the day with her feedings. I must say I think we got more on her than in her.  But she survived our good intentions.
Karl also used to ride around on the back of one of our dogs, named Wendy, an Australian shepherd. And being a female, much to my surprise, she has spoken at various times, and I was sure surprised each time.  There are so many memories to mention and each one special in my heart. And a female bird named Karl, who would have thought except for my daughter and husband.
Her chirping at us when we come home..makes for a wonderful greeting and what a greeting it is.  Saying Karl, Karl and she chirps back as though saying hi. 
For now she is relegated to having a heating pad in the bottom of her cage for warmth and having part of the cage covered.  Meds twice a day to help with the fluids around her heart hopefully with give us a little more time to enjoy this faithful friend. Here's to Karl and thanks for being here!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment