Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Cards






Christmas Cards 
The earliest known designer of a Christmas card was Sir Henry Cole, the first director of the Victoria and Albert Museum. It was both the Penny Post postal service in 1840 and the industrialization of the printing industry however, that led to the popularity of sending Christmas cards. By 1846, one thousand were sold at one shilling each. Cards in unsealed envelopes could be posted for half a penny. A German printer by the name of Louis Prang was designing and selling cards in Roxbury, Massachusetts in 1874. Ten years later his shop was selling more than 5 million cards a year. What a beginning.
This year I actually had time for my cards instead of fitting them in on a Saturday night or just not sending any at all.  I am so organized now, have my list, verses saving the envelopes from the year before or doing a web search for them. 
I had the cards all addressed, sealed and ready to be mailed today so I was off to the post office. Upon entering, Oh no, there in front of me a crowd, a large crowd, a half hour or more wait, I almost left, I hate lines.  No I couldn't, really wanted to get this one thing off my list...cards mailed. With forty unyeilding cards and a box to mail, I couldn't leave so  I stood and stood. Bought my Hanukkah stamps, mailed the box and paid the bill.
Asked myself, when did mailing Christmas Cards become so expensive? After attaching a stamp to each wonderful, beautiful Christmas card envelop, I was done...it's completed.  Finally can mark this one item off my list.  This list seems to double at least every third day and I cannot figure out why... there certainly cannot be that much more to do when one is not employed.
Outside I realize I cannot find my car keys! Back inside now to check everywhere, ask the service agent and even some one in line...Did you see any car keys?  No they weren't there. Outside again, I can't see the keys, but they could be under some coupons I had printed out on the front seat, not sure. One thing I knew though that all of the car keys are here all three of them are in the car. There is no way to have a friend bring me an extra key because they are here inside this car.  There is a reoccurring problem with the ignition switch that costs around $300. to fix and I have been delaying that repair...if one key doesn't work then use another.
Opening my purse, I pull out my change purse to locate the AAA card.  There are just some things in this life that are a necessity and this card is one of them. 
After a half hour wait, the service man was there, thank you Lord, it was getting cold out and I really had to go from the cold you know.  With a few nifty tools and five minutes, he had my car unlocked. And the keys were on the front seat. Another miracle, the car started, thank you again, needed the ride home to be quick. It was.
Two of the traditional Christmas items completed, Christmas decorations outside up and the Christmas Cards mailed...two to go!  The tree and finish my Christmas shopping. Tomorrow is apron day, I have six to make in the next few days. Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. First off,I love your quilted background. Super cute! Second, Jean that totally sounds like something Dave or I would do! Grrrrrr! Sorry you locked your keys in the car.. I hate when that happens! And you are right.. Thank Goodness for the AAA card! It sounds like you have been super busy too! I can't wait to see one of your aprons or all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh jeannie bo beanie. glad to hear you are safe and warm. thank you for the card too. got it today. good luck with the aprons too. i know you will do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did either of you notice the same confetti pieces were in your Christmas Cards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I noticed, but I didn't want to ruin the surprise for Nancy! :)

    ReplyDelete