Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Washington DC


The day started early with my arrival at the MARC train depot in Fredrick, Maryland at 6:45 am.  The train ride to DC is approximately one hour and a half long...this is a commuter train with lots of sleepy  people aboard and its Monday morning.  The train was comfortable and the sights along the way, beautiful...trees, small farms, deers roaming and downtown areas of some of the small towns that we stopped at. We arrived in Union Station around 8:40 and I was off.  Found a helpful lady that directed me to the Metro and planned my route to the White House...this lessened the amount of walking thru this great city which I was grateful for, the weather was damp and cold with rain forecast. And being from the southwest, it was chilly...chilly.  Forgot to mention, windy at the same time.  One of those days where you can see steam rising from the manholes and you know its cold.

Each time I go to DC, a visit to the White House is always on the list of places I see, it’s like a reference point for me. The house looks stately, crisp and clean even on this dark day.  Next on the list is a visit to the DAR headquarters, which is located about two blocks south of the White House, the real reason for my visit. With my daughter moving, I was not sure when I will return to DC, I had to make it this trip. And the visit didn't disappoint me.  I was fortunate to get a wonderful docent named Nancy, who was from Annapolis and she volunteers here each week. For the next hour and a half, I got a private and educational tour of this fine building and its contents.  The various DAR state chapters have decorated rooms in different periods dating from the early 1800's to 1930. Some rooms have been decorated as drawing rooms, bedrooms and studies. All done by donations right down to the wallpaper.  The DAR library is inspirational and a beautiful room. As with most buildings in DC, there have been some adaptations in their use, the library was once a place for plays..imagine the moldings, and decorations.  They have left the items to be true to the original purpose and have worked around them.  After the tour I enjoyed the museum, which had on display quilts, samplers and a Wedgewood collection from England.

After conferring with the receptionist about a good place to eat that was close( didn’t want to travel far, I was hungry), he directed me to a little cafe located in the basement of one of the federal buildings..food was great and cheap compared to DC standards. Once outside, I noticed or should I say I felt the rain.  And it was coming down cats and dogs.  Needed an umbrella in a hurry or give up, it was that bad. Thank God there was one of those souvenir stands located next to the mall and just a couple hundred feet from where I was. Cost $5.00, that’s all and it worked.

With that purchase, I could now look around and determine where I need to go…and there before me was the Washington Monument at the other end of the Mall, my other point of reference.  The World War 2 memorial is located adjacent to the Washington monument.  When I say adjacent, that doesn't mean close, it’s a good walk.  By now my pants are wet to my knees, but I was warm. Borrowed my daughter's LL Beam coat, which I was thankful for the warmth and for it being waterproof.Thought this was an interesting picture of the monument, with the mounted park patrol, the flags and the monument itself.  On previous visits, this area was crowded and I actually got to see more of it and look closer at the inscriptions while it was raining.


Adjacent are some pictures of the World War 2 monument, a picture cannot capture size and scale, and it must be visited.  Met a volunteer park ranger who told me some stories about it and also found out his wife and him are from Arizona.  She works for the FBI, the reason they are in DC.  He is retired, but as he said he volunteers to get out of their small condo and to avoid housework.  Now who wouldn't? So much to see in this city.


The picture of the War Department Files is that of my uncle. I have been trying to locate more information on him and find my cousin, who I know is living in Prescott, just haven't been able to find her yet.  Uncle Francis was either killed in a plane crash over France or in England. I haven't been able to determine this yet. Sad though I didn't have time to visit the War Department for his records.  With this information I found, I might be able to find some other documents regarding his service. While Jefferson Monument is at the other end of the pond, it’s a little to far for this type of day and a third visit is not required today.


Remembering seeing the Renwick Gallery, which is located across from the Executive Offices, I decided at this point I to head back, at least this way, I knew how to get to the Metro Station.  This Museum was unique, lots of odd things, like this glass dress. At close inspection, you can see every ripple and bulge as though it was actually molded over some one's body. The museum also had lots of original landscape paintings from the 18th century. This building had been used for various things thru the years and has under gone a partial restoration.
With a quick look at the time and noticing that it was getting dark, time to leave DC. Though I did stop at a couple of shops on my way back to the Marc. Union Station has lots of upscale shops and eateries to look at.  Back to Maryland on the train, seemed a fitting end of the day.  I was thankful for the warmth of the car as we traveled thru the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment