Sunday, January 31, 2010

D-Day - Aprons















It's now 3:48 pm and all is not well and I am exhausted.  My fingers hurt, arms are sore and actually am having a hard time seeing to do the edging, it's all a blur. So I decided to take a break from my aprons.  They deserve much more that I can do right now.  The mistakes started and as you can see in the blue waistband with the over stitching. This was an area that the problems just kept coming. Tear out is needed again for that portion of the  waistband,  perhaps three times is a charm,  but not in this case.  The exhaustion of sitting at the sewing machine for the last three days straight and with the pain in my back and shoulders, a break is needed at least for a few hours.  I realize that the ten aprons will not completed today as promised, but they are in various stages of completion.  I want to be proud of my finish aprons and be able to give them to their new owners with pride.  If I continue with sewing today, they will not get my best effort. Considering all of the careful selection of the fabrics and trims, I want them to be outstanding.  They have 50’s flair with the rickrack and sides being finished with the double-sided bias tape. So here it is...sorry my best shot didn't quite make it. No need today for a rush! Right! These will be master pieces..Rome wasn't built in a day or an apron completed.  The finish product or in this case the aprons will speak for themselves.  Personally I think this particular apron is jinxed...its upside down also. Just decided to leave it this way...perhaps its more interesting..will never forget that one. 
Wonder who I should give it to. Ummmm.
So here is the inventory of parts for one apron.
One front panel with scallop edge
Three separate pieces for the pockets
One lower section -with the scallop edge
Two ties or sashes
Two waistbands
Two and half yards of trim or rickrack
Two yards of double sided bias tape.
And last but not least...its seemed like miles of hems. The list to complete them isn't that long, there are some pockets to sew on, some waistbands to complete and sashs to attach. Silly me, I should have chosen an easier pattern..this one is extremely time consuming with the various pieces and shapes.  Just fitting them together can be overwhelming. A lesson learned. Thanks to Amber and Elisabeth for all of their support and encouragement...I just loved the comments and text messages. Sure brought smiles to my face and lots of laughter. For that alone...it was worth the effort.  Sure wanted to say I did it and jump with joy ...stayed tuned. More to come. Shortly I hope.

8 comments:

  1. I love the photos of the aprons.. However where is mine? I don't see it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your's you ask? Look at the pockets?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sooooo. Its almost three days after your deadline of the 31st and I still see no finished aprons. What gives? I know you back, shoulders, butt and who knows what else hurts but when are you going to be finished?? huh? Set a new date because mamma's got some cooking to do but I can't start till my apron is done. I am waiting on you. Dave goes without food till it gets done. (You didn't seriously think I was going to give something up did you ??? ) Poor Dave! Poor Poor Dave! I am going to have shirts made up Save Dave, make Jean finish an apron? huh huh? What do you think? So... I am waiting and I will be checking in everyday and will have a smart comment for you too!
    Save Dave Jean! Save Dave!

    Btw, 2/15/10! Dont forget! I haven't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Dave...he can't afford to loose much weight either. I will start back on them next Monday. Tomorrow I will be at Jobing.com for a motivational seminar. I think I really need it now..help. Friday I have to do some gardening for George...have to replant his plants...notice what I said..his plants not mine. Saturday I hope to go to Prescott for the day. Now we are fast approaching Sunday...guess what its SuperBowl Sunday...a chili party. Your are welcome to come if you would like...just bring some of your favorite chili. 4:00 and be here. Will have cornbread and other tasties items. So now its Monday and back to the aprons..Yours will be first on the list to complete..I know how that squeeky wheel works. Homer told me all about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Dave CAN NOT afford to skip any meals but he apparently will be fasting for a week. Oh well.

    On a more serious note, I am glad to hear that you will be back to the apron grid come Monday.

    I also think it would be a very good idea to finish my apron first but if you think I will stop commenting because my apron is done.. well you are wrong. I will be here every day till ALL 9 are complete! Yes, 9!

    And just so you know, Homer CANT talk and I have no SQUEEKY wheel.

    I'm onto you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave Day One: It's not so bad. I think I can do this. My stomach keeps growling and I feel a little weak but I think I can do a week without food.
    Amber says she is going out for a little bit. I ask where and she say Michaels but she says she should only be gone for 15 mins or so. I don't think she is going there, shes never been less than an hour. Do you think she is eating dinner? I will know. I will know. Ooooooh me so hungry. Please hurry Jean.
    End log,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean Day Two: Hope she brought you back something to eat. Oh no...I better get that one completed first...or no valentine's dinner either. I heard she has something very special planned.
    Now about last night, there was some talk going around Gilbert that a certain person whose name begins with a large "A" was seen scarfing down some pork at Cafe Rio. Actually I think the phrase was..eating as though there was no tomorrow...now that's hungry. Actually she's the one who shouldn't be eating...not you poor, poor Dave! Shame..Shame Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave Day Two: It is actually almost day three. I am so weak that I just now got the computer up and running. I kept trying to read what you wrote but everything kept blurring together. Whoever you speak of about being in Gilbert last night could not be my wife since she was only gone for 15 mins last night and the last time we drove to Gilbert to Cafe Rio it took 30 mins one way and that was on a Saturday with no traffic. So I think you may be stretching your facts to get Amber in trouble.
    Please Jean.. Hurry. My stomach is growling, my sight is blurry, every time I get up I feel dizzy and light headed. Plus I feel weak in the knees..

    Save Me Jean..

    End Log
    Dave

    ReplyDelete